Wednesday 15 August 2012

Jon Lord R.I.P.



I've been a bit slow to add my voice to those expressing their sadness at Jon Lord's passing, but I wasn't sure there was much I could add to what's already been written elsewhere. I never met Jon, but he always struck me as having the air of a true gentleman. Much as I've grown up being thoroughly entertained by the legendary antics of The Who, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue and other debauched rock 'n' rollers, there's always been something admirable about those individuals who, despite making their living in rock music, plough their own furrow in terms of how they conduct themselves: they are few and far between. Jon Lord's gentlemanly comportment was the flip-side to the wild, aggressive sound that he coaxed from his Hammond organ. I have always loved the gutteral, farting, unhinged roar of a Hammond fed through a Leslie cab and overdriven by a Marshall stack. Nobody produced a more stirring racket with that particular combination than Jon Lord. And what about those organ / guitar dogfights between Lord and Blackmore!

Jon Lord - Rock God

Unlike when some rock stars pass away and I'm prompted to dig out and revisit their records, there was no need when I heard of Jon Lord's demise as Deep Purple are constant visitors to my turntable anyway. Jon Lord will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment